Another Great Low Carb Meal: Steak, Onions, And Mushrooms
Throughout my low carb adventures, I’m always looking for good quality meals that don’t cost an arm and a leg. One drawback of a low carb lifestyle is the cost (well, for most of us). Eating steak every night isn’t exactly cheap, but on the other hand, if money is the only object between me and my weight loss goals, then I’ll make it happen!
Anyway, one VERY quick and filling dish I came up with one night is nothing new, nothing special, however, it has virtually no carbs and tastes GREAT!
I call it SMO, which is short for “steak, mushrooms, and onions”.
Making this dish is so easy that even I can do it…so I know you can.
1. One package (usually around a pound) of “stew meat”. It can be found in your meat department…it basically looks like a big steak chopped up into 1-2 inch cubes.
2. One small onion, cut into whatever kind of sections you want.
3. Half package of fresh mushrooms
1. Get out a skillet (preferably with a cover) and turn the heat on medium to medium high.
2. Throw a couple tablespoons (or more) of butter in there.
3. Dump in your package of meat, and let it just get brown, and then…
4. Dump in the mushrooms and onions
5. Add your choice of seasonings (I like to throw in some garlic and onion powder, with perhaps a splash of Worcestershire sauce).
6. Stir it all up, cover, and let it cook for like 7-10 minutes (however you like your steak).
You end up with tender steak chunks and nice sauteed onions and mushrooms smothered in seasoned hot butter. How can you go wrong? Plus, the “stew meat” only costs a few bucks, and mushrooms and onions aren’t that expensive. It’s a nice little dish that will leave you filled up to the max. As a matter of fact, if you eat a salad or something with it, this can easily stretch across two meals.
I’ll post a picture of it the next time I make it (which will probably be this week!).