Rudiments Of A Low Carb Atkins Type Diet

February 15, 2009 by
Filed under Low Carb Talk

The Atkins diet is not a recent development. Since the first time it came along in the 1970’s till now, a phenomenal growth in its popularity has occurred basically die to the recent furor over low fat diets. As more and more people found it difficult to actualize their dreams with regards to losing weight, the solution preferred by Dr Atkins’ new Diet Revolution book found more acceptance.

At the moment, we have lots of people who have sworn their allegiance to the Atkins Miracle, and have been all sorts of ballyhoo. But what really are the fundamental principles of the Atkins diet?

The Atkins diet explains why we become fat. Dr Atkins has it that when we consume carbohydrates in excessive proportions, it brings about weight increases. What is most important is the way our body treats the carbohydrates we take in, and not really the amounts of the fats or calories. Dr Atkins explains in his book how some people develop ‘insulin resistance’, and how that in obese individuals, some cells do not function properly.

Insulin resistant individuals do not effectively metabolize excess carbohydrate. What happens here is that when the body cells are exposed to excessive amounts of insulin, they become somewhat resistance. If this exposure to excessive insulin is prolonged, the cells become even more resistant. This is because the cells attempt to protect themselves from the lethal effects of such high insulin concentrations.

When this happens, excess carbohydrates are stored as fat instead of glycogen which can be easily converted into energy. As a result, this insulin resistant individuals start to add extra weight. Other adverse effects which may experienced include fatigue, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), brain ‘fog’ (loss of creativity, poor memory etc.), sleepiness, intestinal bloating, depression and increased blood sugar. Several complications usually follow an insulin resistant condition.

The approach to treating people with ‘insulin-resistant’ as to place them to a diet limited in carbohydrates. The core of the Atkins diet is a drastic reduction in the amount of all kinds of carbohydrate consumed.

In the Atkins plan, simple sugars (like cookies, sweets and sodas) and complete carbohydrates (like rice, grains and bread) are restricted. Oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice and some other carbohydrates that we considered compatible with healthy living are also limited to the barest minimum.

The diet curbs daily carbohydrate intake to less than 40grams, which causes the body to go into a state of ketosis. In the ketosis state, the body burns the stored fat for fuel, and in line with Dr Atkins research, the ketosis state affects impacts insulin production and stops fat from being formed. Once the body starts to utilize the fat by burning it as fuel, you will start to lose weight.

An additional benefit derived from Atkins plan is that your strong desire for carbohydrate-based foods will be reduced. The carbohydrate restriction and ketosis state induced by the Atkins diet brings this about, and there are several testimonials from people who have been on the Atkins diet to confirm this!

At the initial stages of adopting the Atkins diet, you will find it rather hard to keep to the schedule, but after some time you learn to strike a balance in your diet. If adhered to religiously, you will be able to incorporate appropriate amounts of carbohydrate into your diet little by little, and after sometime, get the right mix.

The core principles of the Atkins diet have been incorporated into a lot of other low-carb diet programs. However, when seeking for the very best of low- carbohydrate solutions for insulin- resistant individuals, the Atkins popularity remains strong.

Comments

23 Comments on "Rudiments Of A Low Carb Atkins Type Diet"

1. christine on Fri, 5th Mar 2010 1:46 pm

This is sounds interesting! I am trying low carb diet right now because I want to get slim.. Thanks for this post, it really add additional information. Nice link!=)

2. Remortgage Deals on Fri, 12th Mar 2010 10:49 pm

Hi, this is one of the best site for the readers and the tips are really very innovative one,Thank you.

3. Jon @ Motley Health on Mon, 12th Apr 2010 3:56 pm

I think that the Atkins Diet Revolution is the most misunderstood diets. Most critics realise that the induction phase is only 2 weeks. Nobody bothers to check the science behind it. Atkins works, and it is healthy. Dr.Atkins advised against processed meat, suggested that we only eat organic bacon. Critics never spot these details. Atkins is great, still relevant today.

4. personal injury Houston on Thu, 15th Apr 2010 1:12 am

Many people are following Atkins diet now and they are also getting good result with it.I like the way you have described very well about Atkins diet.It has many benefits and it is also good to know its additional benefit.

5. Digital Media Sales Jobs on Fri, 18th Jun 2010 10:00 pm

The Atkins diet functions well and effectively control blood glucose and according to the studies done it is found that low carb diets like Atkins is beneficial and works well for the diabetic patients.

6. Walter on Tue, 29th Jun 2010 9:30 pm

The great thing about weight loss diet is the extra energy you feel and how much more positive your outlook is to life in general which obviously has an impact on self-esteem as well. An effective and easy weight loss program will take many things into account but it will be different for every person but once the changes can be seen and felt by that person, it becomes easier to achieve.

7. Weight Loss diet on Thu, 29th Jul 2010 12:49 pm

After a long wait and shrewd patience we should be rewarded with something like this.I don’t usually feel like I need a lot of advice, but your articles keep me interested, I often learn something and they keep me motivated. So thanks for shaking it up.

8. Ray Ban sunglasses on Mon, 2nd Aug 2010 12:58 am

After looking over your site and reading a few posts, I finally started to get curious about low carb diets .i want to lose my weight.

9. weight loss advocate on Wed, 4th Aug 2010 10:13 pm

There may be several methods and food supplements that help loose weight but we prefer a convenient and guaranteed diet pill product that will satisfy our desired weight.

10. yadu123@Colic on Fri, 6th Aug 2010 12:34 am

Today i have learn many things from your blog, which are very helpful for all of us. Nice information with lots of useful facts.
    Thanks.

11. Rosetta Stone on Tue, 10th Aug 2010 8:49 pm

Now I have I learned Atkins diet method to tell people are using many, really very good

12. Host Gator Reviews on Fri, 20th Aug 2010 11:55 pm

I like the way how you demonstrated your language on your post, Rudiments Of A Low Carb Atkins Type Diet : Low Carbs 101 – Your guide to low carbs, low carb foods and low carbs recipes….

13. Manchester SEO on Tue, 7th Sep 2010 10:52 pm

Nice tips…This is sounds interesting! I am trying low carb diet right now because I want to get slim.. Thanks… Keep blogging..

14. Canada Pharmacy on Sat, 27th Nov 2010 4:15 am

I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. Low card diet is very helpful in losing weight. We can get slim if we are following this diet. I wanted to thank you for this great article. Keep up your effective work. I will be waiting for the new updates.

15. Structured Water on Mon, 31st Jan 2011 3:20 pm

To lose weight we must burn more calories than you take in; it’s as simple as that. If low-carb diets cause people to lose weight, then one way or another – despite the fact that fat is higher in calories, gram for gram, than carbohydrates – low-carb diets must result in fewer calories ingested. This study, at last, defines how this reduction in caloric intake with a low-carbohydrate diet occurs.

16. Salty Taste on Wed, 20th Apr 2011 12:25 pm

A low carb diet is usually a high protein diet. One side effect of a high protein diet may be salty taste in mouth, because proteins trigger acid release from the stomach, and this in turn triggers salty juice release from the pancreas. If yoy are prone to gastric reflux, both acid and salt may come up into your mouth.

17. custom thesis on Sun, 8th May 2011 6:08 am

I tried many diets with no result.Maybe this one will help?

18. punches on Wed, 9th Nov 2011 12:26 am

Hi This one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job..
    In shoes making and repairing, http://ppunch.com is the best source. Its punches can easily make holes into the shoe leather and saves shoes from being damaged due to unexpected big holes.

19. Breast Reconstruction nyc on Thu, 17th Nov 2011 2:36 am

This is a great article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up.
    http://www.5thavesurgery.com/procedures/breast-surgery/ provides you the best solutions to surgery of the aging face, using traditional and endoscopic methods, aesthetic breast surgery, post-mastectomy breast reconstruction surgery, minimally invasive body contour surgery, a comprehensive selection of non-surgical enhancements, including Botox, Erbium Laser skin resurfacing, and a spectrum of other skin care products and procedures at a click of the mouse. It has expertise in providing natural-looking-results, that’s the best of all.

20. Event Permits New York on Wed, 30th Nov 2011 12:26 am

So informative things are provided here, I really happy to read this post, I was just imagine about it and you provided me the correct information I really bookmark it, for further reading, So thanks for sharing the information. To get event permits New York is a kind of big deal but for capalino, it is not. It can easily get you permission for organizing any event on any land. For more details visit http://www.capalino.com/press/the-flea-marketing-of-new-york

21. plug in transformers on Wed, 30th Nov 2011 10:38 pm

Nice article as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning this theme. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is some pics of some gadgets. Tons of products use transformers. Walk around your home and you probably see them everywhere. For such plug in transformers contact Pico electronics, New York. For complete information visit its website http://www.picoelectronics.com/plugin/trans_p.htm

22. Elegant Lingerie on Fri, 2nd Dec 2011 3:25 am

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!